Part 1: Understanding White Privilege in Canada (30 min)
Presentation: White Privilege & White Fragility in Canada
- Introduce the concepts of White Privilege and White Fragility in the Canadian Context
- What is the difference between individual racism and institutional/systemic racism
Huddle Discussion: How can we become more comfortable acknowledging the impact of racism in Canada and our own conscious or unconscious racial biases?
Part 2: Anti-Black Racism in Canada (30 min)
Open Discussion: What are the top 3 Black communities in Ottawa? What do you know about each of these communities?
Presentation: What does anti-Black racism look like in Canada?
- Facts related to anti-Black hate crimes, drop-out rates, low-income rates, incarceration rates of Black communities in Canada using infographics from the Addressing Anti-Black Racism in Ottawa Report by the City for All Women Initiative (CAWI) and the Ottawa Local Immigration Partnership (OLIP).
- Discuss how anti-Black racism could be impacting the students participants volunteer with
Huddle Discussion: How can we create supportive environments for Black students we volunteer with?.
Part 3: Islamophobia in Canada (30 min)
Play the Video Cover Girl by Deen Squad
Open Discussion: What stereotypes about Muslim women do you think the video was trying to challenge?
Presentation: What is Islamophobia?
- Official definition of Islamophobia
- Origins of Islamophobia
- Discuss how Islamophobia could be impacting the students participants volunteer with
Huddle Discussion: How can we create supportive environments for Muslim students we work with?